Recently, common way is cooking at the dining table by portable stove. (Of course broth and ingredients should be prepared) Adding broth and ingredients when it run out.
Usually, by family, friends, colleagues, at home, restaurant etc. And it's veggie rich is a healthy cuisine!
The major is Yosenabe (寄せ鍋), generally Dashi (出汁) the broth made from Katsuobushi, Konbu, Shiitake, shellfish etc. flavoring with Salt, Soy sauce, Miso, and Sake.
And typical ingredients of Yosenabe are,
- Vegetables: Chinese cabbage, Japanese green onion, etc.
- Made from soy bean: Tofu, Deep fried Tofu, etc.
- Fish products: Chikuwa, Hanpen
- Fish and seafood: Shrimp, fish, shellfish
- Flesh: Beef, Chicken, Pork
- Noodle: Udon, Ramen, or cooked rice (commonly having for the last)
There are a lot of variety of Yosenabe, generally the broth and ingredients are based on local speciality. So you can find your special Nabe in your hometown!
Most popular pot for Nabe will be DONABE (earthen pot) which features are gentle heat conduction and retaining heat. Suit for cuisine which cook simmer long time.
As you may know earthen ware are delicate. Impact is absolutely prohibited and its weak for rapid temper change. Before to buy DONABE, you should know about how to use for long last. It's not difficult, just to notice some tips here under.
1. How to select DONABE
Table top presentation is a important thing for having the cuisine. The color, shape, design etc. But don't forget usability here below.
1-1) Deep pot: Less boiling over, however too much deep pot will be difficult to find and pick up what you want to have at the table use.
1-2) Shallow pot: Does't suit for plentiful broth, but can steam much vegetables with far infrared. If the pot available for dry heat you can enjoy Tobanyaki (陶板焼き) grill on earthen plate.
2. Selecting material
There are smooth type and rough of the earthen. Smooth type is less thermal storage performance but easy to wash.
3. Selecting the size (Rough indication)
3 ~ 5 (号): Outside Diameter 13 ~ 18cm (approx.) for a person
6 (号): OD 20cm (7.8in.) for 1 to 2 persons
7 (号): OD 22cm (8.7in.) for 2 to 3 persons
8 (号): OD 25cm (9.8in.) for 3 to 4 persons
9 (号): OD 28cm (11in.) for 4 to 5 persons
10 (号): OD 30cm (11.8in.) for 5 to 6 persons
There are a lot of sorts which featured for cooking rice, steam, roast, fry, smoke, etc. Above are multiple use which is most popular.
4. First use of DONABE - Seasoning to fill porous
Slight difference by the earthen pot.
- Fill water 80% of the pot and boil.
- Once boiled turn heat down to low, put in wheat flour and stir well.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cool down for room temperature.
- Wash off well and dry once before use.
- Wash with water and wipe off. Dry with bottom side up.
(*Heating with wet condition will cause crack.)
- Fill water (or hot water) 80% of dried pot.
- Put in a rice bowl amount of cooked rice. (not uncooked)
- Loosen rice and heat over low.
- When porridge ready, stop heating and leave it to cool down (more than an hour)
- Remove porrigde and wash with water.
- Fill half the pot with washed rice water or milk and heat up to boil in simmer. (Don't wash before this process) This process is to remove scum and to seasoning to heat.
- Don't heat when the bottom is wet. (Causing crack)
- Avoid rapid temperature change (Heat gently)
- Cool down naturally (Immersing heated to water will cause crack)
- Preferably wash as soon as possible after use
- Wash with sponge or some soft things
- Don't use abrasive cleanser (Flaw will cause crack)
- Dry well before storage and keep it in well ventilated
6. Having hair crack
It is usual to have hair cracks. Just do the process of "First use of DONABE"
7. Mold problem
Fill water up to 80% of the pot. Add 2 to 3 table spoon of vinegar and boil 10 minutes.
The mold deep into the pot may not remove. But the odor will be settled. If you mind the mold maybe buying new one will be good.
8. Burnt problem
- Fill the pot with hot water and leave it fir a while
- Fill the pot with water and boil
- Wash with sponge after cool down
9. Odor problem
- Fill water up to 80% of the pot. Add used tea leaves and boil 10 minutes
- Boil water and add baking soda after stop heating. Leave for a while and wash.
10. After above problems
Cook porridge to complete the maintenance.
You can have a new experience of dinner.
Have fun with Nabe party this winter!!